Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Look Into The Winter Of Mike

For those of you familiar with Seinfeld, the Term "Winter of Mike" was borrowed from an episode called "The Summer of George". The premise is that George was going to have the greatest summer ever. Thanks to the Yankees defeating the Phillies this past fall. This Philly native, and Yankee fan, is in the midst of having the greatest winter ever.

During the past month, Yankee fans have kept a close watch as the Hot Stove blazed and the 2010 edition of the legendary franchise began to take shape. And, in the coming months, fans will watch that team go out into the sunny Florida spring and prepare to defend their World Series Title. So, I'd like to take a look back, once more, on the fantastic story that is, The Winter of Mike.

The 2009 Season was just a prelude to The Winter of Mike. As the teams became set for the 2009 World Series, I knew I was going to take a lot of heat from family, friends, and even strangers. But, I was ready. And, as the 27th out was recorded on that glorious November night, The Winter of Mike officially began.

First was a phone call to my brother, whom, until that night, I had never beaten in anything my entire life. He would soon have to don a Yankee Jersey while his infant son would where his cousin's (my son) Yankee outfit for a picture to be proudly displayed in both of our houses (Well, mine would be proudly displayed anyway).

The Winter of Mike continued on through the fall. I wore Yankee apparel everywhere I went, even work. I drew scorn from some, disbelief from others. I enjoyed every minute of it. I am not one to gloat, but I took a huge measure of satisfaction with these quiet statements. Because, I knew, had this gone the other way, no one, and I mean NO ONE, would ever let me live it down.

Christmas brought a time to reflect on the joy of the Yankees winning this Title at the hands of the local baseball team. My wife, though it pained her, was kind enough to allow me this joy with presents that will ensure that The Winter of Mike will continue forever. A World Series DVD, Yankees World Series Champions tee shirt, And pub Glasses commemorating this special victory. These all have been adorned and used daily since Christmas Day.

And so, The Winter of Mike rolls on. And, whenever anyone sees me, they are reminded that this winter is mine, not theirs. Because my team defeated theirs to win the World Series!

So, Yankee fans, before we turn all of our attention ahead to what 2010 has in store. Take a look back, and join me in celebrating the greatest winter a Yankee fan living in Philly could have. Celebrate The Winter of Mike.

- Mike Tursi

No comments:

Post a Comment